Day 5 : Smoked Mackerel on Toast with Arugula and Spinach
Temperature: Toaster (light)
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (or unsalted pumpkin seeds)
- 4 tablespoons roughly chopped flat leaf parsely
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 20 mini tomatoes, halved
- 4 large thick sliced of whole wheat bread
- Approximately ½ cup of arugula leaves and ½ cup of baby spinach leaves (pre-washed)
- 4 ''J Willy Krauch'' smoked mackerel fillets (slightly warmed)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Put the garlic in a food processor or blender with the pine nuts and parsley, and blend to a rough puree. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste and blend to make a pesto.
- Cut the mini tomatoes in half and place in bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss in bowl with a small amount of the olive oil.
- Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and cook under a pre-heated grill and cook until tomatoes are soft and lightly charred.
- Toast slices of bread until golden brown and arrange on individual plates.
- Cut each mackerel fillet into four slices (cut on diagonal), carefully checking for bones at this stage. Do not use tail and rough ends of each fillet.
- Cover the toast with the arugula and baby spinach leaves and place four pieces of the warmed, ''J Willy Krauch'' smoked mackerel fillet on top so that the greens wilt.
- Arrange an even amount of the roasted tomatoes over each and spread pesto evenly over this.
- Serve while still warm.