Day 8 : Scallop and Smoked Salmon Mousse
Temperature: Oven 350
- ¾ cup of fresh (or frozen, thawed) scallops
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of ''J Willy Krauch'' smoked salmon, finely chopped
- pinch each of sea salt and white pepper
- unsalted butter, for greasing baking dish
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 2 chives, finely chopped as garnish
- balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fine balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Parmesan Crisp (optional)
- ½ cup of grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Rinse scallops and remove small ''hinge'' on side, if still attached. Pat scallops dry with paper towels. Place in food processor with egg, ''J Willy Krauch'' smoked salmon, salt and pepper. Pulse, ingredients until smooth, using a spatula to scrape down sides of the food processor as necessary. Cover mousse with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, butter 6 ramekins (1/3 cup each). Cut parchment paper to fit the bottoms of the ramekins and butter the paper. About 15 minutes before serving time, pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Blend cream into the scallop mixture, then scoop into the ramekins, Set ramekins in one or two baking pans, and pour in boiling water until about ¾ of the way up the sides of the ramekins. This is called a ''Bain-Marie'' (water bath). Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until a knife inserted into the middle of the mousse, comes out clean.
- In the meantime, prepare balsamic vinaigrette: In a cup, combine oil with balsamic vinegar. Beat in sea salt and white pepper to taste.
- Prepare Parmesan Crisps if using. Place grated parmesan in thin pile on parchment paper on baking sheet. Place parchment paper over this and then another baking pan on top. This is to keep crisp from curling. Bake in 350°F for about ten minutes. Remove from oven, let cool and cut into desired shapes for garnish.
- Remove pan from oven and remove ramekins from the pan. Loosen mousse from ramekins by sliding a knife around the edges then unmold onto 6 serving plates.
- Serve with drizzle of vinaigrette and parmesan crisp garnish (if using).
- Top with a few chopped chives.